Safe Drop Off & Pick Up from Modesto City Schools
The safety and well-being of our children is every parent's and caregiver's primary goal. Modesto City Schools and the Modesto Police Department share in this objective, and encourage the community to work together to ensure Safety First for our children.
This web page offers tips and information that will help to keep kids safe when they are dropped off and picked up at their school. By using these tips, we can also help to reduce the morning and afternoon traffic and parking impact on neighbors near our schools.
- Learn the procedure – Each school has its own specific procedure for drop off and pick up that has been designed to move cars and kids in and out most efficiently; but these procedures only work if motorists follow them closely. Everyone dropping off or picking up kids from school has the responsibility to know the procedures. Ask your school’s principal or other school staff member for the procedure for safe drop off and pick Up, then help to spread the word by reminding other motorists. Always observe all official signs and instructions by school staff during drop off or pick up.
- Use only designated drop off locations – Each school has a designated location to drop off and pick up kids; drivers should only use locations designated by the school.
- Obey the student safety patrol – Safety Patrol students receive training on their school's drop-off and pick-up procedures and the fundamentals of traffic safety.
- Do not park across the street from the drop location – Having kids cross the street mid-block is dangerous, especially with all the other cars coming in to drop off kids, It’s also unkind to nearby neighbors who may already be experiencing high levels of traffic.
- Do not use the school’s bus loading zone – The school bus zone is for school buses only. Dropping kids off at this location is not only dangerous, it also slows down the flow of all the other cars and any incoming buses.
- Allow extra time – Everyone is very busy, but that’s no excuse to put our kids’ safety at risk. Leave a few minutes early to allow ample time for drop off and pick up. Just a few minutes can make a great difference and help to make the traffic circulation around schools more efficient for everyone.
- Be courteous and respectful of neighbors – You can reduce the traffic and parking impact on residents living near a school drop off location by following all procedures, and by being sure to never park in front of or in driveways.
- Get involved – Become a school volunteer and help to promote appropriate procedures among motorists, or monitor the traffic flow during drop off and pick up. Ask your school how best to get involved.
- Join a carpool - Work with your neighbors and other parents to share driving duties. When you take several kids to school, you're taking that many more cars off of the streets! Less cars at the school makes dropping off and picking up easier, and it makes for a greener environment, too.
- Have the kids walk to and from school – If feasible, walking or biking to school is a great way to help kids get fresh air and exercise. It will also significantly reduce the number of cars around the school and neighborhood. The little ones should always be accompanied on their walk or ride.