Free or Low-Cost Internet Service
Internet providers are offering FREE or low-cost internet services to families.
Option 1: Comcast Xfinity is opening up all wireless hotspots, free of charge. Anyone with a WiFi-capable device will be able to jump on an open hotspot and have internet access To see if you have a hotspot near year:
- Visit WiFi.Xfinity.com
- Click the “Interactive Map”
- Enter your address in the search box
- See if there are any hotspots near you
Option 2: Charter
- Contact the sales department at 1-844-488-8395
- They will assess the student’s needs (if they have an existing box, or if they need a box, etc.)
- All free, no installation costs, no fees for boxes, etc.
- The downside is if they need a box, there is either a wait for delivery (2-3 days), or the student/family must pick it up which is first come, first served, based on availability
Option 3: Comcast
- $9.95 per month
- COVID-19 Update: New families who connect will receive 60 days of free internet service
- For more information, call (855) 846-8376
- Data: 25/3 MBPS
- No installation fee. No modem fee.
- You may be eligible to participate if you have at least one child who qualifies for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), receive HUD housing assistance, or a veteran that receives federal or state public assistance; and live in an area where Comcast internet service is available but have not subscribed to Comcast internet service within the last 90 days, where applicable. Households with outstanding debt owed to Comcast may be eligible for internet essentials. Comcast will waive that qualification if you apply and are approved by 12/31/20, standard eligibility rules apply.
Option 4: Access from AT&T
- $10.00 per month
- For more information, call (855) 220-5211
- Data: 150GB or 1TB based on type & speeds available
- No installation fee. No charge for in-home WiFi modem.
- You may be eligible for this offer if at least one resident in the household participates in the U.S. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); your address is in AT&T’s 21-state service area, at which AT&T offers wireline home internet service; and you do not have outstanding debt for AT&T fixed internet service within the last six months or outstanding debt incurred under this program. AT&T will assign the fastest of these speed tiers available at the customer’s address: 10 megabits per second, for $10 per month; 5 megabits per second, for $10 per month; or 3 megabits per second, for $5 per month.
Option 5: human-i-t
- $14.99 per month
- For more information, call (888) 519-4724
- Data: unlimited
- One-time cost of $99.99 for the hotspot
- human-i-t, a nonprofit, aids with the sign-up process for this offer. A household needs to be 200% or below of the federal poverty level or be currently enrolled in an income-based government assistance program. Examples of programs include: food support (SNAP), financial assistance (TANF), free or reduced lunch at school, Section 8 voucher, Medicaid, and SSI. Customers must show proof of eligibility.
Option 6: Fresno State Connect Initiative – Families with children attending West Modesto schools or Shackelford Elementary qualify for low-cost internet.
- $9.95 a month
- 60-day free of charge service
- Contact Fresno State Connect at (559) 278-0708