Modesto High Named AVID National Demonstration School04/18/2018
Modesto High School is an Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) National Demonstration School – making it in the top 2% of the over 6,000 AVID schools nationwide, and earning the highest available three-year validation term. Demonstration schools undergo a rigorous validation process and must be revalidated when their term expires to ensure high levels of implementation, with quality and fidelity to AVID strategies school-wide. Modesto High School is the only National Demonstration School in Stanislaus County, and one of 38 in the state.
AVID is a college readiness system designed to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and success in a global society. Now in its 16th year at Modesto High School, approximately 450 students participate in the AVID program.
The visiting validation team shared a number of commendations regarding their recent visit to Modesto High:
- The AVID Center is available for AVID and non-AVID students throughout the week.
- High levels of student engagement – one observer shared that she did not see a single student “off task” in the nine classroom observations.
- Collaboration practices were evident throughout the visit.
- Students are empowered – students spoke of how they help one another - both AVID and non-AVID students.
- The quality of the Focused Note Taking was excellent.
- Distributed leadership throughout the AVID program, from Principal Manning to Assoc. Principal Lawson to AVID Coordinator Sue Blickenstaff to the teachers and students.
According to the AVID website, at an AVID National Demonstration School, visitors can observe:
- AVID as a schoolwide approach to college readiness
- Evidence of student achievement schoolwide
- Strong and committed leadership to college readiness for all students at both school and district levels
- A center of learning for AVID best practices schoolwide
- A committed team of trained AVID educators dedicated to successful implementation of the AVID College Readiness System for all students
- Models for excellent inquiry-based AVID tutorials—both in the AVID Elective and, in some schools, selected content classrooms
- A showplace of the commitment and synergy that a strong AVID System creates for schoolwide college readiness.
For more information about AVID, visit www.AVID.org.