The Inter/Intra-District (IDT) permit process allows students who live inside and outside the district to apply for attendance at a school other than their school of residence. The IDT option is available based on board approved criteria including program offering, parent employment (K-8), child care (K-8), and continuing student (grades 6, 8, 11 & 12 only). Students who are accepted into a school from another district under the Inter-District process need to apply each year to have the permit renewed. Students who transfer between schools within our district under the Intra-District process need only re-apply at the next school level (junior high/middle school, and high school). Academic, behavior, and attendance requirements must be met to maintain continued enrollment at the alternate school throughout this process. The window to apply for an Intra-District permit for the 2019-20 school year is from January 14, 2019 to February 28, 2019. Inter-District permits between outside districts are processed on an ongoing basis.
The process to request transfer between Modesto City Schools sites begins at the school of residence. A request to attend a school in Modesto City Schools from another school district must begin in the district of residence.
Student transportation is the responsibility of the parent.
Approval Criteria for K-8
- When the day care of the pupil can be provided only within the boundaries of the school of proposed attendance and when such additional considerations as a safe route to school, walking distance and potential parental transportation would make a transfer appropriate.
- When parents/legal guardians move into another school attendance area during the current school year.
- Continuing Student Rule: When a pupil who has attended a school for one or more years and will be in the sixth or eighth grade the following year. Continuing student status is for the sixth or eighth grade only.
- When a pupil's welfare is jeopardized (written verification required), Juvenile court cases, special mental or physical health needs, safety needs and disciplinary cases will be considered.
- When specific instructional programs are not available at the school of residence as long as the student remains in the requested program.
Approval Criteria for 9-12
- When the day care of a handicapped pupil can be provided only within the boundaries of the school of proposed attendance.
- When parents/legal guardians move into another school area during a semester, to allow the ninth and tenth grade pupil to continue enrollment for the remainder of that semester, and to allow the eleventh and twelfth grade pupil to complete high school graduation requirements when the student's past performance has been successful and he/she is currently in good standing.
- When parents/legal guardians anticipate a change of residence during the school term and can provide written verification of the address to which they are moving, to permit enrollment pending the actual move.
- When a pupil's welfare is jeopardized (written verification required). Juvenile court cases, special mental or physical health needs, safety needs, and disciplinary cases will be considered.
- When specific instructional programs are not available at the school of residence as long as the student remains in the requested program. (The athletic program is an exception to this provision. Students will not be granted permits based on athletic program offerings.)
Revocation of Permits
Intra/Inter-District permits may be revoked at any time that a student does not maintain acceptable standards of attendance and/or behavior as defined by the Student Conduct Code and/or maintain acceptable levels of academic achievement.