Regional Occupation Program (ROP)

Regional Occupational Programs (ROP) training courses are offered in several areas: Business, Consumer/Home Economics, Health Services and Industrial Technology. ROP enables high school students and adults to develop marketable occupational skills, abilities, attitudes, and work habits in order to upgrade skills or obtain a job. The ROP reinforces basic academic skills---reading, writing, computation, verbal communication, problem solving, and critical thinking.

All course studies are work-related and reflect the most current developments in business and industry. Students who successfully complete a ROP course are prepared for entry-level employment, advanced training and/or enrollment in a community college, university, or technical school. Whether a student plans to work full time, or part time and continue in school, a ROP course teaches the skills to get and keep a worthwhile job.

Regional Occupational Centers and Programs (ROCPs): career and workforce preparation for high school students and adults, preparation for advanced training, and the upgrading of existing skills. Modesto City Schools’ ROP operates under the umbrella of the Yosemite ROP, which covers school districts in Stanislaus and Tuolumne Counties.

In 2011-12, among the combined districts of the Yosemite ROP, 136 teachers taught 84 different types of courses in 15 industry sectors serving nearly 8,000 high school and adult students with relevant and exciting learning through Career-Technical Education.

ROP in Modesto City Schools

The Modesto ROP offers 1-hour and 2-hour courses at all high school sites throughout the district. Two-hour courses are “Capstone” courses, representing the advanced or end course offered in a related sequence of courses within a particular industry sector. ROP provides an elaborate busing schedule to allow students at one high school site to take a 2-hour ROP course offered at another high school or at the ROP Center on Reno Avenue.


  • ROP offers courses to high school students and adults. High school students contact their counselor at their school for enrollment. Out-of-school youth, or private school students, should contact the Alternative & Vocational Education Office to enroll, (209) 492-1786.

  • High school students must be at least 16 years of age or a high school junior. The high school principal must approve the enrollment of younger students. Limited exceptions may be made for enrollment of younger students under prescribed circumstances such as:

    1. the student is in need of immediate employment training and might leave school prior to graduation
    2. the student Individualized Education Plan (IEP) prescribes vocational training
    3. other special circumstances noted on the student's enrollment card
  • Students who successfully complete ROP are awarded credits applicable to graduation by the school for each semester of ROP completed. Students are eligible for 5 units of credit for each hour of instruction per semester.

  • All students are required and expected to maintain a satisfactory attendance record. High school students be aware that truancies and tardies will be handled according to Modesto City School District policies. ALL STUDENTS enrolled in ROP are expected to adhere to the Modesto City School District Student Conduct Code. Discipline problems will be handled according to district policies.

  • Occasionally, an ROP class meeting must be canceled. On these occasions, high school ROP students must report to the home school Attendance Office. Teachers will notify high school students in advance of transportation cancellations, holidays, etc.

  • Information concerning any transportation for high school students, being provided to/from ROP courses is sent to high school students prior to starting class in the fall. If entering ROP mid-year, check with your site Counseling Office or your ROP teacher for current ROP transportation schedule. Transportation is not provided to training sites with the exception of local hospital areas.

  • ROP students with barriers to successful completion of training (i.e., physical/mental disabilities, limited English proficiency, personal difficulties) are eligible for vocational assessment services and extra assistance in the classroom. ROP instructors or counselors should make referrals to the Vocational Evaluation Center, c/o Alternative & Vocational Education Office, (209) 492-6461.

  • ROP instructors schedule a comprehensive final examination/demonstration of skills, abilities, and work habits according to the final examination schedule of the district. Final examinations are required in all ROP courses.

  • ROP instructors help all students to prepare resumes and to learn job-search techniques.

  • Many ROP courses provide students opportunities to acquire occupational skills through non-paid practical experience at an actual business or industry site. After basic classroom training, many students are placed at worksites throughout the community and are trained by skilled employees. Individualized plans for training are used among the student, the employer, and the instructor.

    Students must attend scheduled formal classroom instruction each week in addition to their community classroom or cooperative vocational education work station assignment. Work permits are required of all students ( under the age of 18) in cooperative paid vocational education.

  • Curriculum, equipment and materials for ROP courses are updated regularly with guidance from industry-based advisory committees composed of local business persons from specific occupational areas. All school personnel are welcome to participate on any occupational advisory committee.

  • The 2+2 Program is a unique program and partnership that provides students an opportunity to acquire college credit after successfully completing an ROP course that has been established in the articulation agreement.

    1. Students receive college credit for course work completed in high school.
    2. Students receive advanced placement at Modesto Junior College/Columbia College or Delta College skipping introductory college courses.
    3. You can use high school/ROP classes and MJC/CC courses toward an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree.
    1. Find out if any of the courses you are currently enrolled in have an articulation agreement with MJC/CC. (This information can be obtained by contacting your school counselors.)
    2. File a Request to Participate (RTP) form with your instructor and make sure keep a copy of your application.
    3. Pass the class with an "A" or "B" grade.
    4. The 2+2 Articulation Certificate of Completion is mailed to your home in the month of July.
    5. There is a two year limit after you graduate from high school to enroll at MJC/CC.
    6. Set-up a meeting with a college counselor and take your certificate with you.