Elliott Alternative Education Center
1440 Sunrise Ave
Modesto, CA 95350
Principal: David Houck
Hours: 7:55 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
Elliott Alternative Education Center houses the Elliott Continuation School and several alternative options such as the Pregnant Minor and Teen Parent programs. Elliott Continuation is a high school program for students between the ages of 16 and 18 who are deemed at-risk of not completing their education. Students are placed in the program through referrals from comprehensive schools. They are students who, for a variety of reasons, have not been successful in the traditional structure of the comprehensive high school site, or in special cases, need flexible scheduling due to employment, family obligations, and/or other critical needs.
Elliott staff are dedicated to assisting students meet the goal of graduation. At Elliott, students complete requirements for a 200-credit alternative education diploma. In some cases, students are able to make sufficient academic, attendance, and behavior progress to allow them to return to their comprehensive school site and pursue a regular 230-credit diploma.
Elliott is a safe and secure campus with a variety of programs and resources to meet students’ academic and social-emotional needs:
- Partnership with Modesto Junior College to provide the Modesto Technical School, a program in which qualifying students take their Elliott coursework at MJC and enroll in a variety of MJC’s vocational college classes.
- Collaboration with the Stanislaus County Probation Department for proactive school safety and truancy prevention.
- Positive Behavior Intervention & Supports.
- Student Assistant Specialist from the Center for Human Services to provide mental health support.
- Collaboration with the Stanislaus Behavioral Health & Recovery Services to provide Aggression Reduction Training (ART) to select students.
- Staff training in Restorative Justice practices.
- 5th year program for students not meeting graduation requirements during the regular school year.