Modesto City Schools hopes to empower the community in making a difference at their schools. A volunteer opportunity allows adult volunteers to assist teachers and staff with supporting the educational needs of our students. It’s a chance to make a difference that will resonate throughout the school. Please contact the school where you are interested in volunteering.
- Serve as a positive role model.
- Strive for mutual respect and trust.
- Assist teachers and staff where they need help.
- Support students in their learning.
- Be interested in working with young people.
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies and procedures, specifically confidentiality and volunteer policies.
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting the time commitments.
- Communicate with students during designated school time only, (no social media, email or phone contact), unless specific arrangements have been made with the principal.
- Be willing to communicate regularly with school staff and take constructive feedback.
- No use of illicit drugs.
- No use of alcohol or controlled substances in an inappropriate manner.
- Not currently in treatment for substance abuse.
- Not currently in treatment for an uncontrolled mental disorder or hospitalized for such in the past three years.
- Use only materials provided by or approved by the schools, no political or religious materials may be brought to the school, no proselytizing in any way.
Personal Qualities Needed
- Reliable and consistent.
- Willing listener.
- Encouraging and supportive.
- Patient and flexible.
- Tolerant and respectful of individual differences.